Sunday 25 January 2009

Character's Run Cycle



My first attempt at the character's run cycle, I've opted for a jointed animation done in vector, I found it to be easier to than frame-by-frame in photoshop. I really wanted to do it this way to create some very expressive animations that would fit the game's initial art style, but vectors looks a hell of a lot better in Flash than anything else because the program supports it. Suppose I'm thinking too ambitious in wanting a dynamic and expressive art style that is seamlessly animated in the game, I would need to build it a different engine. Anyways, most of the animations are jointed than frame-by-frame (err, come to think of it jointed is still animated frame-by-frame in Flash) at the limbs character and enemies (but most of the enemies have no joints because they are a sort of drak matter), therefore the rotation points are jointed. The character has lost a lot of detail from his initial concept, but he still has the essential parts that make him the protagonist. Err, what else...I must of said this in my last post, but the Animators Survival Kit is awesome, it has helped me a lot with animating this and other characters (duh, what else), here's a sample of a run cycle with a more cartoon proportions. I had to improvise a bit by including a sword in one of the charcters hands (argh just noticed that I might have put the sword in the wrong hand, it might give me problems when animating sword attacks and specials because teh hand would obstruct the view of attacks unless I move it out of the way, but it will look stupid and unrealistic (unrealistic in creating a possible world with realistic physics way) in moving his hand out of the way every time he needs to attack with his other hand, so it would be better to just swap the arms around the next free chance I've got and to do this before I start animating special attacks. I will be posting the progress of my flash game as a video demo soon, bye.

No comments: