Tuesday 24 February 2009

Some design re-thinks...

I've been wondering where I'm going with this game, more than half way through and it seems to not do the things in the proposal design document. I think it doesn't do these things because I care too much about it. It sounds wierd, but I think that the less you care about the game, the more awesome it becomes because you're not afraid of failing, it you do its easy just to start again. It is also good for the type of game I want to make, which introduces one new concept to the world of gaming as fast and as clear as possible, but doing this requires a lot of experimenting and iterations on game prototypes.

At the moment my game is going the epic route, which just isn't practical with the time constraints I have. The game needs to have a low barrier of entry, having 1 concept will be most effective in designing new gameplay mechanics. I also want the player to experience or feel something entirly different and make it about other thanwhat it looks like it is about. I guess its a balancing act to make things work in harmony, but achieving it economically could create a deep experience as well. argh audio, haven't really thought about this yet in the game and its half of the experience! All I know is that it has to inspire the game's emotional target that reacts insome way that connects with the gameplay and environment. So a lot to rethink about.

No comments: